Wednesday, August 12, 2020

Homemade Peach Jam Recipe - No Pectin required!

 



Peaches are one of my favorite summer fruits! There aren’t too many things that have peaches in it or are peach flavored that I don’t love to eat or drink, from wine to desserts! I wanted to find a recipe to experiment with since this would only be my 2nd time making a homemade jam ever in life. I do have pectin available but I figured that I’d save that for another time. Pectin can shorten or eliminate cook times and can sometimes give the jam a fresher fruitier flavor. I will tell you this non-pectin recipe is not lacking in sweetness. I almost thought it was too sweet upon my first tasting, but when I spread it on my toast the next day for breakfast, it was delicious! I would advise to taste it as you are adding sugar just to make sure the jam is to your sweetness level. My peaches were very ripe which also contributed to the sweetness and flavor factor. You do not need to wait for your peaches to be super ripe, just as long as they are ripe enough to eat at the time. 

Ingredients

3 1/2 pounds Peaches (1lb= 3-4 medium peaches)
2 1/2 cups of sugar
Juice from 1 lemon 

** Note: I only used a little over 2 pounds of peaches in my recipe which yielded 1 1/2 pints of jam.**

Instructions 

1. Peel, pit and cut peaches into chunks.
2. Add peaches and lemon juice to a medium saucepan.
3. Bring peaches to a a boil over medium-high heat.
4. Use a spatula or masher to crush the peaches to desired consistency.
5. Reduce heat to medium. Add Sugar, while bringing peaches back to boil stirring frequently.
6. Continue to boil and stir until peaches reach desired consistency (usually 15-25 minutes), Jam should stick to the spoon when lifted and turned sideways
7. Let the peach preserves cool and then can. If the jam is not at the consistency you like after cooling then boil for another 10 minutes and then let cool again.


No comments:

Post a Comment